Thursday, February 5, 2015

Germs

I'm beginning to think a lot of how Kindergarten will be next year with all the sickness preschool has brought this year. Ethan's preschool is very good about hand washing several times during the 3 hours he's there and he's still managed to be sick 4 or 5x since the beginning of school in August. The last one was RSV and he missed 2 weeks of school. Total he's missed over a month of school (3 days a week). I can't imagine what life will be like once he goes into Kindergarten with double the number of students in his class (24) and possibly less sanitizing.

We'll put it all in his 504 plan, but it'll be hard to regulate. His 504 will read that he won't be penalized for missing more than 10 days of school as that's the number of days you are allowed to miss in public school before being truant. It will also say that homework will be sent home if he's out for more than 2 days of school to keep him current and that the room be wiped down each day.

I'm really concerned that he will be out for a week maybe even two weeks at a time for sickness or a tune up in the hospital. I don't know how he's going to stay current in his schoolwork. I'm really hoping for a teacher that will help us keep him current so he doesn't fall behind.

I hope we don't have to home school because of this. I don't think he'd listen to me and follow my directions. I also feel that school is better for him educationally and socially. His speech has improved since starting school and he's picking up a lot of great skills at school by learning to write his name each day before signing him in, sorting and counting items, etc.

I'm really excited for him to go to Kindergarten, make new friends and learn more.

These are my concerns, but I know he'll probably be fine. We'll deal with everything as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment