Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Seeing the bean!!!

Today we finally got a chance to see the bean during our first sonogram. I was a little anxious because other than feeling pregnant symptoms I didn't have any real proof that I was indeed pregnant and that the baby was growing. Ken came with me to the first appointment and we took a video of the sonogram. It's really short and actually there are two really short videos. I'll post the picture they gave us on Thursday once I find somewhere to scan it in.
We couldn't see much on the screen, but what we could see was a strong heartbeat and a blob. I had hoped we'd see him or her moving around, but the sonogram didn't even last more than 2 minutes before it was over. Based on my calculations online and the calculation they make initially at the doctor's office my due date was October 25th. After the sonogram they changed it to November 8th, 2 weeks later. I didn't actually realize that they had changed my due date until an hour after my appointment when the nurse called to move my appointments back by 2 weeks each. I was shocked and a little irritated. I know when I conceived, so I highly doubt my due date is November 8th. But, they base the date off of measurements or averages for size. So, for now I'm just going to have wait and hope that it changes.
It mostly stinks because I don't want to go back 2 weeks. Every week that passes is a big deal and knowing that the baby is growing to the size of a pea, bean, cherry, a quarter and now a small plum really has helped me to not feel like this will take forever. For now, I'm going to pretend my doctor never said anything. It's going to take a couple appointments of the baby measuring 2 weeks late for me to start to believe it. The baby will come whenever he or she is supposed to, so I guess the date is just a goal anyway. I will keep you posted. If you run into me though I'm 9 weeks and 2 days as of today, not 7 weeks and 2 days like the doctor says. I like what Tifani said, "The mommy is always right!"

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I had to have a ton of ultrasounds with Brandon because it was considered a high risk pregnancy. If they had changed my due date every time they got different measurements, my due date would have changed pretty much after every ultrasound. The ultrasounds aren't that exact...they're just the best guess based on measurements. Trust me, I knew when I conceived & what my due date should've been based on that, but he had his own ideas & came just over 3 weeks early. He/she is going to come when he/she is ready no matter what anyone says/thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just say he, it's easier, and that's what it's going to be anyways :P

    ReplyDelete