Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mommy's injury

A few days after returning back from Ethan's 1st hospital stay, my left wrist started hurting a lot. I figured that I had held Ethan the wrong way and that his weight on my wrist in the wrong position was what caused the soreness. After seeing the doctor a month ago I was given a splint, told to take 600mg of Motrin 3x a day and that it should be better in two weeks. After two weeks it wasn't better, it was worse. It was then clicking when I used it and it hurt a lot in the morning. I headed back to the doctor a week and a half ago and she told me that it looked worse but I should discontinue using the splint because it looked like the pain was coming from inflammation. She referred me to the orthopaedic surgeon to see what was really going on. Unfortunately, the only appointment they had was a week and half out.
Today was my appointment and because Ken was at the hospital with Ethan I was able to go. The orthopedic surgeon gave me a cortisone shot and told me that I had tendonitis. Evidently, it's very common postpartum to have tendonitis because of all the fluid that you retain during pregnancy and hold onto for a few months after. I have the splint back on my wrist for another month. It's really uncomfortable and more so as I type on my laptop. Hopefully it will heal quickly and I won't need surgery. It takes 3-6 months to heal without surgery. Yuck! No biggie, it's not like I have an infant at home to take care of?
When it rains it poors. Since Ethan was born, I had a 3rd degree tear that took a month to finally even begin to feel better, Ethan was hospitalized for 8 days at 3 1/2 weeks, I was told I have dermatitis on my face and put on antibiotics for a month, Ethan got a cold which sent us to the hospital again, and I have tendonitis. I hope next month is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment