Monday, September 7, 2009

Nothing fits


I knew this day was coming...I just didn't think it would be such an emotional moment. In the last couple weeks my belly has become noticeable enough for people who don't know I'm pregnant to ask me how far along I am. It's been kinda fun. People now come up and rub my belly. Which I don't seem to really mind too much.

However, today when I went to put on my shorts and they no longer fit. I realized last week that none of my maternity pants fit anymore either. I guess it's time to do a little more shopping. Shirts don't seem to be a problem since I've been buying in the clearance bin at the 2nd hand maternity shop and I've had friends giving me their shirts now that they are done having kids. I lost it today right after I weighed myself and realized that I now had gained 9.5 lbs. I know logically that I'm gaining exactly how much weight the books recommend, but I happened to gain 2 lbs this week instead of my normal 1 lb so I freaked out. My hormones got the best of me. I came downstairs to tell Ken and was almost in tears. He tried to calm me down, but I just panicked.

After calling one of my best friends who just had a baby a few weeks ago and begging for a couple pairs of shorts to borrow until the end of September, I called my sister and completely lost it on the phone. She did her best to calm me down and reassure me that everything is alright. One really good piece of advice was that I just need to surrender to my body. I have no control. Which completely makes sense, since the baby's been controlling when I go to the bathroom, eat, sleep, etc for awhile now. If I wake up at 1am to pee, I am starving. The thought has crossed my mind to install a mini fridge upstairs. This baby is evidently a voracious eater.

After my hormone surge, I felt much better. I've settled into a stretchy, non-elastic, skirt that one of the women I work for gave me. It's so comfortable. Ahhhh!!!

At 17 weeks, the baby now weighs about 5 oz and is about 5 inches long from head to rump. The big ultrasound is in 3 1/2 weeks. I'm a little anxious to see that everything is okay and to possibly find out whether this baby is a boy or a girl. Ken still hasn't decided if he wants to find out. I really want to know now. If we're having a boy I want to fully be excited about it when he comes out. I really think the baby is a girl, so if we don't find out and it's a boy, I'm going to be completely shocked.

I go in tomorrow for my 17 week check up. I'll get to hear the heartbeat again and be measured for the first time. I keep thinking that the doctor will probably tell me I'm farther along than I thought or that they missed an additional heartbeat. I may look 5 or 6 months pregnant, but I'm still only 4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment