Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Being consistent

Since Ethan got out of the hospital last July he has been struggling with behavior problems. He kicks, screams and throws things when he doesn't get his way or is angry. It feels like we have tried everything. It's hard not to feel like a failure as a parent when you can't control your own kid.

In restaurants when he barely hits his head he screams like Mariah Carey sings. It's embarrassing. The only solution I have is to take him outside. Once he is calm he will let you talk to him and his behavior will change but overall it stays the same.

I struggle with what to do to cause him to behave better. What do I do next? I guess we have to pick one thing that he needs to improve on and that we as parents need to improve on and be consistent. Being consistent is hard especially when we have two kids with different temperments. Lila basically laughs at him when he freaks out and his whole body turns into a noodle when you try to pick him up. Other than letting him cry, scream or lay on the floor having a tantrum I don't know what else to do.

Am I a failure as a parent? Deep down I know I'm not, but it sure does feel like it sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Erin you need to read a book called "Give Them Grace" by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson. It's the best book I've read on parenting and addresses those difficult parenting perspectives. It also teaches you how to give the gospel to your child at each instance of disobedience. It's revolutionized how we parent our kids--and how I feel about parenting

    ReplyDelete