Monday, October 18, 2010

Living in a bubble

Yesterday I received a call from the nurse who gives the Synagis injections for RSV. We have to go every 28 days until April to help lower his chances of getting RSV this winter. She went on to tell us that we were to keep him out of grocery stores, restaurants, malls, and basically all public places for the winter. She also asked what I did for a living. When I told her I was going to be starting a new nanny position she told me "if you work with kids your son will get RSV". Nice, thanks for making me feel guilty for trying to put food on the table for my family. How the heck am I supposed to do that?
Our doctors told us back in March that we can't live in a bubble and who can stay inside all day long. We are "allowed" to go for walks.
I'm so frustrated. As if the pressure to keep him well wasn't enough now I have been made to feel guilty if I choose to take my kid in public. I want to protect him but when does living a normal life become important too? I want him to have a normal childhood not be shut up inside all the time. I wonder what I'll be expected to do when he wants to go to AWANA at church at 3 years old or preschool or being in Sunday School every Sunday. I want him to know God and be around people who will be his extended family. I want him to have friends. It's bad enough he can't interact with other kids who have CF. Now, he's expected to be alone too.
I just can't do it. We'll try our best to keep him out of those public places this winter, but I will not be forced to stay inside all day and not live our lives. I try to stay away from sick people, especially sick kids and I'll have to be very careful at work, change my clothes immediately before touching him and continually wash my hands at work to help keep from taking germs home to him. I would have to take these precautions even if I was working in an office. I will not be made to feel guilty.
I am his mother. I can make good decisions for him.

1 comment:

  1. You ALREADY DO make good decisions for your son. You will try to keep him healthy this day, this month, this year. Try not to worry about 2 or 3 years from now. Right here, right now is where you live! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete