Friday, July 30, 2010

Sleep Training Update

A month ago I posted about how we were trying to train Ethan to go to sleep on his own. He did fairly well for about a week and then we went to Tahoe for a week and had to rock him to sleep every time he needed to sleep. Needless to say it was a very very long week of rocking. Mostly because Ken and I were the ones doing the rocking, not a chair.
As soon as we got back from Tahoe we were determined to get the sleep training underway. It took 2 days and gradually he would cry less. He never screamed, but he was not happy with us on the first day. I'm happy to report that now he is putting himself to sleep all the time. We put him in his crib after a book, song and giving him his blankie and he goes to sleep within 5-10 minutes. Sometimes he talks or makes screeching noises, but he always goes to sleep. Some people are telling me we'll see how long it lasts, but I think that for the most part we are on the right track. I'm happy that he's going to bed on his own and I think he's pretty happy too.
Since he's putting himself to sleep he now takes longer naps. He's starting to take two 2 to 2 1/2 hour naps a day, but sometimes needs a 30 minute catnap to tide him over to his 8pm bedtime.
Today, for the first since 2 mos old, he slept in until 705am. I wish I would have been able to sleep as long, but after 630am I was awake. I'm hoping this becomes a trend. Now all we need to do is get him to stop waking at night to eat. That's for August when he's 6 mos old! Gosh, 6 mos is coming so soon! I'll have another update on weight next week after we see the Pulmonologist for clinic.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome Erin! We always put Meghan to sleep on her own and at 2 she loves going to sleep. Even if she isn't ready, she will just lay there and fall asleep. It's the absolute best thing ever!!!! YAY for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete