Thursday, April 29, 2010

Snot, Formula & Medicine

Ethan has been sick with a cold for the last few days. He got it from me and I was pretty miserable for about a week before I started seeing that he had one too! It is virtually impossible to keep him from getting whatever I get because we're together all day. I washed my hands and used hand sanitizer so much that my hands are really dry.
Yesterday we ended up taken him to the pediatrician after his mid day nap. He woke up with spit up or throw up, I'm not sure which it was, and as soon as I picked him up he spit up more. The best part was that it was orange because his vitamins are orange and he had just had them 2 hours earlier. Gross. I'm learning that as a mother you're first instinct is to protect your child. When he started spitting up I immediately turned him toward my chest so he would throw up all over me...and he did. I changed my clothes 3x yesterday.
The funniest thing about yesterday was that last night after I had fed him and given him some Mylicon for gas and Tylenol for the low grade fever he had, he sneezed. It was a sneeze with whatever was in his mouth coming out. I had him on my knees facing me, so you guessed it, it was all over me. Ken was sitting next to me and cracked up. I have to admit that I laughed as well. But, the best part was that Ethan just stared at us like, "What?" It was a great way to relieve the stress of him being sick.
We try not to worry too much when he gets sick, but it's hard not to worry that any sickness will turn into something bad. Luckily, we have a great team of doctors and they help us every step of the way. We recently received Ethan's wrap vest. We are using it 3x a day for 10 minutes at a time. It helps to get all the gunk out of his chest. It seems to be workin through this sickness since whenever he spits up a lot it has phlegm in it. I guess I'm grateful for the machine and the phlegm, as nasty as it is to have it all over yourself. I'm learning to enjoy the good and bad parts of being a mommy!
Here are some pics of Ethan with his wrap on:



No comments:

Post a Comment