Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Kindergarten Registration

Yesterday was the dreaded Kindergarten registration day for Elk Grove Unified School District at our home school Sunrise Elementary. I got up at 3am and arrived at the school around 340am with my friend Ali. Between the two of us we had 3 spots to get filled.

Why did we arrive so early? Well, it was supposed to be 430 when we arrived, but we kept reading on forums about how people were showing up at 4am so we pushed up the time. Then Ali started getting messages about people already on their way over so we headed over a little earlier than that.

I slept horribly the night before and the night before that thinking that I'd be late or worse yet make Ali late since I was driving.

It was 38 degrees outside. I headed out there with a long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, pea coat, large warm blanket, my baseball cap (I didn't have a warmer hat), and luckily Ali had hand warmers to put inside my mittens. We also brought chairs so we weren't standing or sitting on the cold ground.

Some of the people there had sleeping bags that they sat in while sitting in their chairs and one person had a space heater. We really got to know a few of the people around us since we were there for almost 4 hours with them.

They opened the doors to the multi-purpose room about 630am so we were at least warmer. We received our #'s for registration and waited the final 60 minutes until receiving our packets. Because there's Transitional Kindergarten class from last year those 24 students automatically had #'s ahead of us and priority registration. There were also another 16 kids ahead of us for various reasons. I was #11 in line for Kindergarten and received #51.

We are hoping for track A (the more traditional schedule), but counting on getting another track. If we don't get Track A we're hoping for Track C. We'll know in May sometime.

The worst part is that if we don't get Track A we'll have to reschedule our vacation to Avila Beach. We are supposed to be there the first week of school for Tracks B, C & D.

The registration process went smoothly, but man was it cold outside. I survived it only to find out that I have to do it all over again in 3 years for Lila. She'll have priority registration for the track but not for AM or PM preference for Kindergarten. Who else thinks Ken needs to go for Lila?

No comments:

Post a Comment