Monday, May 7, 2012

Update on Ethan

I know I've neglected my blog over the last 6 weeks. Our family life has been crazy. Here's an update on what's going on with Ethan's health. As you know Ethan cultured pseudomonas in March and we've spent the last 8 weeks fighting it. He's been on Tobramycin via nebulizer twice a day and at the beginning was on an oral antibiotic called Cipro for two weeks. Last Monday we went in for Ethan to be cultured again at the halfway mark. His results came in on Saturday showing rare pseudomonas. Although this is an improvement from moderate growth, it's still not gone. We've been given the instructions to begin Cipro again for two weeks, continue TOBI until it's finished in 4 weeks, then reculture him 5 weeks from now. If the culture is negative they will do a brochoscopy to see if it is really gone. Sometimes cultures don't pick up everything especially in small children who don't usually give them a good sputum culture. If it is positive he will most likely be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics. My guess is we'd be in the hospital for a week or two. It's hard to imagine how that stay is going to be with a two year old. I hope we don't have to see how it is. We are hopeful that this last bit of treatment will get the rest of the pseudomonas, but also a little discouraged, especially since he never had any symptoms of the pseudomonas to begin with. We figured it would be easier to fight because it hadn't been there long. For now, all we can do is start the Cipro and continue treatments, then see how the next culture turns out. It's especially hard on me since I've always been a planner and I hate not knowing what's coming next. This is forcing me to let it go and let life happen. Over the next couple of days I'll try to come back and post some pictures of Ethan.

No comments:

Post a Comment